Friday, February 5, 2016

I'm Old

2/5/2016

It's official folks - I'm old.  I'm the shopper you see in the grocery store who can't pull out a shopping cart.  I'm the shopper who can't manage to open up the little plastic bags in the produce section.  I'm the shopper who doesn't understand why her favorite mustard isn't, at least at this one store, available in a glass jar.  I hate those squeeze bottles and avoid them whenever I can, because you can never ever completely empty the bottle.  Oh, I stand the squeeze bottle over the top of the glass jar, to see if I can get the last drops of mustard out, but it's always in vain.  If I could manage to cut squeeze bottles in half, think how much mustard, etc., I would have.

I'm also the shopper, who after her groceries are bagged can barely lift the shopping bag, because it's too heavy.  Today, my bag wasn't unusually heavy, but apparently I must have looked like I was struggling to carry it, because a young woman asked me if she could help.  Egads, when did I get old? 

I'm the shopper set in her ways.  When I find a food that I like, I remain loyal.  I don't poke around in the shelves looking for a substitute for let's say butter.  I like the brand that I use, so why switch?  The problem comes when say product "x" is no longer available.  I understand that if product "x" isn't making money for the company, they may pull the product.  This leaves me high and dry and scrambling for a good substitute.  This annoys me.  

My mother used to only wear Daniel Green leather slippers.  I thought, and still do, that they were rather ugly, but she never wore any other kind of slippers.  She was set in her ways.  I was absolutely positive that I would never be like my mother.  But shockingly, in some ways I'm just like her.  I too have a preference for a certain kind of slipper, and bathrobes, just to name a few of my never going to change to another type of item.  

As an adult, I didn't really want to be anything like my mother.  I wanted to be more like my Dad.  I do look like my mother, and there's no fixing that. Unfortunately, it seems as if all good things come to an end eventually.  I have worn Chloe perfume for more years than I can even remember.  The old Chloe, now considered vintage, hasn't been made in a very long time.  Because I refuse to use a different perfume, I went to Ebay and bought numerous bottles of Chloe.  There were no new bottles, some were half-full, and others mostly full.  I bought everyone I could find.  They are lined up in the bathroom, waiting for their turn.  As I read this, it sounds a bit obsessive, but if you love something, do you really need to change just because?

Okay, this old woman is getting off her soap box now and going to sit in my recliner and watch some kind of cheesy television for a bit.

Happy Friday.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...