Friday, February 19, 2016

Porch Lights

2/19/2016

Jeff and I don't turn our front porch light on unless we're expecting company, or Mister Sam needs to go outside after dark.  Our electric bill is high enough without leaving lights on just because.

We have neighbors who leave either their front or backyard lights on 24/7.  I wonder why they do this.  We don't exactly live in a crime ridden community.  Perhaps their thinking is that if the light is on, then their home would be off limits to a robber.  I don't think having outside lights on, would actually deter anyone from trying to break into your car or home.  It just gives them more light to work with.  

Since we have the two dogs, our alarm system consists of deep barks and growls and one tiny yappy bark.  Mister Sam sleeps at the end of the bed so he can look out the window.  Of course, he has cataracts, and doesn't see well in the dark.  But, if something grabbed his attention, then likely Maggie would also be on alert.  Believe me when the two dogs get started, they can really make a lot of noise.

I am not naive about crime, but I don't stay awake at night worrying about it.  If a bad guy decided to come in through our basement, I have no fears that he'd break a leg in the process of going around everything that is down there.  The only time I get a little freaked out is when Jeff is away overnight.  When he's gone, suddenly every sound I hear sounds ominous.  

I once bought a home sort of in the country, with only a few homes on the street.  When I moved in, I noticed there was a red phone in the house.  I removed the phone, because who would want a red phone.  Apparently, all of the neighbors had a red phone.  In case of an emergency, all you had to do is get the handset off the phone and phones would ring in all of the houses.  This was explained to me after I had removed the phone, causing havoc in the neighborhood!

Unlike Motel 6, I won't always have the light on for you, but I will gladly turn it on, if I know you're coming.

P


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...