Thursday, September 7, 2017

The Wheels On The Van Go Round and Round ....

9/7/2017

Yesterday, I was taken into D.C., to be interviewed for a possible Metro Access card.  If qualified, and it turns out I was, then I can call and schedule a van to pick me up and take me - well anywhere.  The driver arrived on time and loaded me and the wheelchair into the van.  I tried some small talk for a bit, but then decided that I really didn't need to talk to the driver.  At that point, I just closed my eyes and went along for the ride.

It rained a whole bunch yesterday and I got wet getting into the van.  But, once we had arrived at the transportation building (I'm sure it has a fancy title, I just don't know what it is), once the wheelchair lift had been lowered, there was a worker standing there with an umbrella to take me inside the building.  I thought that was very nice.  Jeff would tell you that since I'm not made out of sugar, I won't melt if I get wet - but I tend to disagree.

Once inside the building, the worker took my application over to the desk and I remained sitting in the wheelchair.  Shortly, a woman came out and asked me if the wheelchair was mine (yes) and could I walk (some).  I had torn out a few crossword puzzle pages to take with me, and they entertained me while I waited.

It wasn't long before a gentleman called my name and wheeled me into his office.  He took my picture (ugh) and gave me an ID number.  I will get my photo ID in the mail in the next week or so.  He explained the workings of Metro Access and told me that I could call them as early as today if I wanted to go somewhere.  I thought that was pretty cool.  Trouble is, I really can't think of any place to go, at least today.

I was very anxious about the appointment, particularly since I was going alone.  But I did fine and I was surprised at how easy the appointment was and how nice and helpful everybody I met was.  It wasn't what I was expecting.  But, then when I think about it, I don't know exactly what I was thinking.

Anyway, got home, a bit wet from rain and worn out.  A pair of warm socks, a blanket and my recliner fixed my world up right away.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...