Thursday, March 29, 2018

Eyes and Books

3/29/2018

My vision has progressed to the point of needing magnifying glasses to read just about everything.  My last eye appointment was in 2015, and was told that I had a cataract, but it was too small to remove.  I suppose two things might happen tomorrow: (a) a new prescription for glasses; and (b) discussion about my cataract.

It is super painful (not physically) to not be able to read certain things: prescription bottles, recipes, books (that's a biggee for me) as well a whole host of things that I come across each and every day.  Reading has been a lifelong pleasure of mine.  In a book, you can be anyone and go anywhere!  Love it.  Today, reading is fairly difficult.  I hold my book up in one hand, and have a magnifying glass in the other hand.  Certainly, not the preferred way to read.  I do have a Kindle, and the text is really LARGE.  Problem there is that when I find a book I want to read, sometimes a real book costs significantly less than buying a Kindle book.  Why this is so, I have no idea.

Book club tonight, and for probably the first time, I actually read the book, (Small Great Things), and while the subject matter was controversial, the actual story, could be a headline in the news today.  And, that's sad, because part of the book involves white supremacists, who have a bias against a minority race.  I generally don't lend much to the discussion about the book, and tonight might continue to be the same.  One problem I have is, that I can remember bits and pieces of the book, and the overall theme, but that's just about all.

I tried an audio book ONCE, and after a bit of time, found myself falling asleep.  There is just something about the verbal language that lulls me, but perhaps not you, to sleep. I have given up on audio books, unless I need a sleep aid!

When I was in Target a few weeks ago, there was a paperback that had a title that intrigued  me.  It's a tue story about the women who worked for the government during World War II.  These women were tasked to sit in front of a machine and pushing knobs and/or dialing their machines, so that the needle was in the correct position.  I have no idea, up to this point, what the machines and women had to do with each other.  Perhaps, I'll never know, and that's okay, because it is a good story.

Ada cleaned the house yesterday, so with the exception of putting somethings in their rightful place, I don't have to spend time cleaning, or not, the house!

When I buy a book on Amazon, I keep hoping to find a large print version.  And, I never have.  I know I'm not alone in needing large print books, but perhaps the publisher doesn't think there is much of a market for those books.  I believe, the publisher might be surprised to know how many people want and need large print.

Once I'm dressed and have emptied the dishwasher, I pretty much have the rest of the day free to do whatever I want (insert happy face here)!!

Have a great Thursday.

P









 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...