Monday, March 2, 2020

Best Buy

3/2/2020

Every once in a while, I come across something in the paper, that I think needs talking about. Today, the story is Best Buy. 

The store is offering a lease to own program. The theory is that cash strapped customers, are allowed to enter into this program, and "buy" big ticket items, they couldn't afford. Let me get this straight, someone who can't afford, let's say, a mega-size television, can now have one. Our theory has always been, if you really can't afford something, like a Bentley perhaps, you just keep adding items to your wish list.

The employees of Best Buy, disagree with this program. The program, which preys on the most financially vulnerable shoppers. Many of these shoppers, end up paying twice the list price for things like: televisions, appliances, etc. 

Customers are required to pay a one-time fee of $79.00, and agree to let the lease program take their monthly fee from your bank account.  Oh, this is such a bad deal. But, people further down on the "food" chain, if you will, want the new and fancy items, like we all do.

The leasing company, reported that they had received $2 billion from $1.6 million leases. One employee puts it this way: they are targeting people who are already down on their luck. One employee, who wished to not be named (ya think) said that he personally bought a $700 mattress. Since his last payment was one day late, he was, in the end charged $1,400

In my first life, my husband, who I called Klutz, had to buy furniture for our apartment. I don't know what we paid, but I know this: we paid money to own the cheapest, crappiest furniture. And, said furniture didn't hold up very long. But, this is what happens to people, like me, at the time, buy things that without a payment plan, was unaffordable (sp). The furniture didn't last long, and neither did my marriage. Perfectly timed I think.

Things were much different when I met and married Jeff. He doesn't let the emotional me, get into trouble. Want and need I know are two different things. Trouble is I like and/or want many things. But, I'm putting on the brakes, before spending, as much as I can.  

Happy Monday everybody. Oh, today's "holiday" is: read Dr. Seuss, National Old Stuff day, and my favorite is National Banana Cream pie day.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...