Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Today Is My Sister's Birthday

3/10/2020

Today, is my sister's birthday. Since I don't generally, if at all, mention my family, you may not know that I have a sister and a brother. Unlike some families, where everybody lives close to one another, the three of us are spread across the country. My sister lives in California, my brother is in Illinois, and I am on the East Coast. This makes it difficult, for us to just pop in for coffee!

Marilee, is 8 years younger than me. Today she is 62, and I'm 70. With such an age gap, it was pretty hard, as children to have much to do with the other. I mean, when I'm a very cool 16, Marilee was 8. 

I remember when we lived in Illinois (I was in high school), one of my tasks, was in the event of a tornado, I was supposed to get Marilee and myself under the house. Ugh. Luckily, for the both of us, we never had to do that. I'm thinking that there were spiders, and heaven knows what else under the house. 

After my ultimate divorce, which was also a "thing" during that time period, I married Jeff in 1974. Marilee was my maid of honor, and by today's standards, was very small and very inexpensive.

When I became pregnant with Scott in 1978, Marilee and I had a great time. In the city we were both living in, she and I would go out on the weekends to shop for used pieces of furniture for the nursery. And, we were successful. Bought, I still remember, a used changing table, as well as other things.

Marilee and I did aerobic dance (if you can imagine me doing this), took a shorthand class, as a refresher for me. I know that class was uber boring for her. There was a calligraphy class, and Marilee was way more successful than me. 

We ordered Tupperware, and we didn't want to get it, so on a very rainy day, even dark I think, I drove the both of us down to pick up the Tupperware! I know, those of you who know me now, can't imagine me being so gutsy! 

Up until we moved away, Marilee was my best friend, and always up for an adventure. Trouble was, that in 1986, we moved to Maryland. The last time I saw her, was when Mom passed away. Before I became, "mentally challenged", I could have flown out to see her. And, I don't know why I never did.

While we live far apart now, and seldom, if ever, see each other, Marilee is my sister, and for the record my only sister. If we got together now, we would have a good time together. There are junk stores, and the like, here. And, we do like a good junk store, where treasures abound.

Marilee, have a good birthday. Eat cake, and ice cream too. And, dance like nobody's watching. 💕

Love you, little sis.

P

 




4 comments:

  1. Awe! Thank you so much...i remember all those things and we would have a great time together...love the junk shops and you have the best ones back there. I love you very much, Marilee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment. I agree that there are some really excellent places to shop back here. There is a store that has one entire room dedicated to Fiesta Ware! Enjoy your special day. Love you very much. P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Fiesta Ware. I have some Lu Ray dishes that were a pastel version on Fiesta Ware...you should look it up...it's very pretty (like at Easter :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...