Friday, August 10, 2012

Hope Springs

8/10/2012

Hope Springs

You remember that I played hooky yesterday and that my friend and I were going to the movies.  We did.  We went and saw Hope Springs and it was a wonderfully motivating movie.  We were both pleased to see that there were a number of much older couples seeing the movie together.  It's true that even though the movie just came out there was only a smattering of people in the theater; but, that's okay.  I chalk that up to middle of the day and middle of the week.

This movie will not likely appeal to the younger crowd.  They won't understand or appreciate what the movie is talking about - a long term marriage that has both bred familiarity and is mired down in its routine and dullness.  

The wife is trying to breathe new life into her 31 year marriage and her husband is highly resistive. But as you watch them go through their day it hits you that here are two people living in the same house but not really seeing or interacting with each other.  Easy to do after many, many years of being with someone.  

I highly recommend the movie partly because two of my favorite actors are playing the lead roles; but, because I think it's worthy of watching.  I can't speak for my friend or you; but, I left the movie theater wanting to be a better person in my own marriage.

Go - take your spouse - buy popcorn (even if it is expensive and not what you might normally do) - and enjoy.  I know you will.

Appropriate quote for the day from Leo Buscaglia:

"Relish love in your old age! Aged love is like aged wine; it becomes more satisfying, more refreshing, more valuable, more appreciated and more intoxicating!"

Hang on readers - it's Friday.  In 8 hours or so we'll all be free for two whole days!

P


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...