Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Zucchini Bread

8/28/2012

Zucchini Bread

The seasons are about to change.  Mother Nature is hard at work at the transformation.  We have an oak tree in our front yard and every day are pelleted by acorns.  Some of these acorns may be falling on their own accord but I have visions of big angry squirrels up high in the tree literally taking aim as I back out of the driveway.  Either way, Jeff blows the acorns in a pile every day for pick-up.  So if the squirrels are tossing the acorns the least they could do is come down and pick up after themselves!

School buses were out yesterday, another sure sign that summer is "over".  You have to time your exit from the neighborhood perfectly to avoid (in my case), teenagers who would really be driving Dad's car and idling cars at the curb filled with Moms in bathrobes waiting for their child's bus to arrive.  Yesterday, I timed it perfectly - 6:20 and cruised through the neighborhood like it was summer.  So if I can keep that up I may avoid the daily plodding along behind a bus, frequent stops and dawdling teenagers who aren't eager to actually get on the bus.

If you're looking at the title of today's blog you're probably wondering what acorns and school buses have to do with zucchini bread - hold on I'm getting there.  When the weather begins to turn cooler and as it was over the weekend rainy, I return to the kitchen to bake.  Good for us?  No.  Impossible to resist?  Yes.

Years ago a coworker gave me what I consider to be the best zucchini bread recipe ever and I'm sharing it with you today.  If you're a guy, then print it out and give it to your favorite cook (which could be yourself, I don't know) and get baking.

Beat until light and fluffy:  3 eggs
                                       2 cups sugar
                                       2 Tsp. vanilla
                                      1 cup oil

Add IN ORDER:  2 cups peeled, grated zucchini, 3 cups flour, 1 teas. baking powder, 1 teas. salt, 1 teas baking soda, 1 cup crushed and drained pineapple.  Optional:  a cup of nuts, raisins or chocolate chips.

Flour and grease two loaf pans and fill 1/2 to 2/3 full. Bake one hour at 350.

People, if you make this you will not be disappointed.  First of all it isn't green which seems to turn off a lot of people (unless it's Green Eggs and Ham) and it's moist and delicious.  If you're really feeling sinful slather butter on a piece of bread that is warm.  Heaven!

Remember, man does not live on bread alone: sometimes he needs a little buttering up.  John C. Maxwell

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...