Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Painting

8/7/2012

Painting

Do you paint your house?  If so - good for you.  And if you do then must have somehow avoided the dreaded "only 3 days a year painting rule" that is the Bassett men's mantra.

In nearly 38 years of marriage, I have only found those secret 3 days once or twice.  The rest of the time I hear the laments: it's too hot, too cold, to humid, not humid enough, too wet or too dry.  Then to reinforce the weather excuses I get to hear all about how they don't have the right paint or can't find the paint at all, (not surprisingly) the ceiling's too high or the brush and roller are too stiff.  Well you get the idea.  It's called stall, stall, stall.  Everybody hopes that Mom will get over the idea of having a room painted and if I do get lucky enough to get a room painted, I had better REALLY like the color - cuz it's not going to change - for a very long time!

The other delay tactic I hear bantered about is that the spackle is "curing".  I have some areas in my house where the spackle has been curing for over 5 years.  Pretty sure it's dry now.  And yet I wait.  Don't even bother to ask why I don't grab the paint bucket, brush and roller and get on with it myself.  I am a well-documented lousy painter.  I get more paint on my body than actually on the walls and when I get down to baseboards find that I "wobble" a bit and the two colors tend to blend in just a bit - or I have painted the carpet!

For this year I haven't abandoned all hope, there is still 4 months left on the calendar.  Perhaps 3 of those days will be perfect painting days. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed - but not holding my breath.

Quote for the day:

Life obliges me to do something, so I paint.
Rene Magritte

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...