Saturday, October 13, 2012

Elevator Music!

10/13/2012

Elevator Music!

Why the exclamation point you ask?  Because the music that is piped in to sooth us at stores, doctor's office and on the radio commonly referred to as elevator music happens to be the music of my youth and probably yours.  Hence the exclamation!

When did the music of the 60's (which I remember the clearest) that drove my parents and yours insane become background music?  An instrumental version of Yellow Submarine?  Really?   In the 60's we had great music (in my humble opinion) and I still listen to it today.  We had love songs such as Tell Laurie I Love Her which was one downer of a song and yet was a hit and still played often today.  Herman's Hermits were Standing on the Corner, the Beach Boys were Surfing USA and Dionne Warwick was On Her Way to San Jose.  There was Elvis of course (who didn't love him), Rolling Stones, Three Dog Night, Brenda Lee, Connie Francis, Mamas and Papas, Peter, Paul and Mary and The Chiffons (lovely songs) just to name a few.  Ever listen to any songs by the 1910 Fruit Gum Company?  Good stuff.

Anyway, the music that I listen to while getting my teeth drilled or before falling asleep at night tend to be the instrumental versions (most often) of groups such as these.  The youth of today may scoff at our rock 'n roll era but that music has stood the test of time.  And, I'm pretty sure that we won't be listening to the songs of today on an elevator anytime soon - at least I hope not!

Tune into an oldies station and dance down memory lane, you'll enjoy it. 

P

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...