Friday, October 26, 2012

Advertising

10/26/12

Advertising

I love magazines.  There is something about brightly colored glossy paper that enthuses me.  Fridays are my special day because the People magazine arrives so when I get home from work, I kick off my shoes and catch up on all the Hollywood news!

Here's what I don't like about magazines.  Those little 3x5 cards that they liberally sprinkle inside the magazine that fall into your lap the minute you open the darn thing up.  I don't believe that there's anybody still out there that fills out a postcard to order or request anything.  That method has gone the way of typewriters, carbon paper and dial telephones.

Most ladies' magazines are filled with pages and pages of gloriously made up beautiful women trying to sell you powder, hair color, shampoo, nail polish, eye make up, jewelry, purses and anything else you can think of.  There is one publication in particular that the first half dozen pages or so are all ads.  One time just for fun I took this rather large magazine and tore out all the ads.  The magazine was half its size when I was done.

Now before reading a magazine I shake it to get all those nasty loose cards out and then I tear out any additional cards that have been stapled in to the magazine.  I haven't gotten so desperate that I rip out the ad pages too - but I'm close.

Even if I used ALL those beauty products and knew how to apply them (which I don't), there is no way that I would remotely look like a professional model or an actress.  They have "people" who dress and make them up.  I have only myself, a comb, a few curlers, and some beauty products that I bought on a whim and seldom, if ever, use.  Just last night I bought a new blush because it's consistency is like foam and I thought that was unique and fun.  I used it this morning and while it was fun to push my finger down through the middle and watch it rise back up, the actual product is no better or worse than anything else I've used.  I'll add it to my collection of advertising "gotchas" because every now and then I buy into the hype.  The drawer's not completely full yet so I still have room for the next greatest beauty product to come along and catch my eye.

Happy Friday.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...