Sunday, October 28, 2012

Storm Sandy

10/28/2012

Storm Sandy

Unless you have been living under a rock, you know that a large hurricane type storm is headed up the east coast today or tomorrow.  I'm sure storm patterns are hard to predict so weathermen always get a pass when they get it wrong - which unfortunately is a lot.

D.C. should not bear the brunt of the storm but we will more than likely see lots of wind and rain which can play havoc with power lines and our local utility company is not known for its reliability in bad weather.  That would explain why in my backyard we have installed a whole house generator that runs off the natural gas in our house.  Another words, "Jenny" could run to infinity which is comforting with a storm bearing down upon us.

If the weathermen are predicting snow you can't find a snow shovel for miles.  For this storm there's been a run on flashlights, batteries and perhaps umbrellas.  If you were to go to the grocery store I'm sure you would find a shortage of bread and milk, which are known to be two must haves for bad weather.  The completion of the "must have" triangle is, of course, toilet paper.  

The interesting part of preparing for a storm is that some people act like we're never ever going to be able to get to a store again which makes for the aforementioned shortages.  This storm will give us rain and perhaps lots of it - but it's not the same as snow where you may actually be housebound for days until your street is plowed.  

If you really want to prepare for the storm you should buy ice cream, preferably lots, and then when the power goes out - you will HAVE to eat the ice cream before anything else and there will be no guilt on your part in doing so - you're just saving your food!  I like that idea.  Life is short we should always eat dessert first anyway, so this storm may be a good reason to get started with that theory.

Our storm plans are simple.  Jeff is going to gas up my car today and buy some ingredients so he (not I) can make chicken noodle soup and/or chili this week.  Jeff took over the soup/stew/chili making a few years ago and I see no reason to change.  He may go to the airport and check on 874T.  We know that a few of the flight school's employees are going to go out there this morning and make sure that all the planes are tied down so they don't move around in the wind.  

Obviously, with the generator parked in the backyard we're not overly worried about losing power, unless something prevents Jenny from staying on.  If that happens, I'll go to my standby plan, a flashlight, a lantern, my Kindle (adequately loaded) and some ice cream.  Even if we don't lose power I may still eat ice cream - I'll just have to pretend that it's about to melt!

Stay dry and I hope your lights stay on.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...