Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Socks

10/9/2013

What's the deal with socks?  Well for one thing they go missing a lot.  How many times have you put "x" pair of socks in the washing machine and after washing and drying end up with only "y" socks.  Ever wonder where the missing sock went?  I do.  Does the washing machine or dryer gremlins steal them?  Are they stuck underneath the agitator never to be seen again?  And you'll notice that it's not a pair of socks that are missing - just one.  Because if an entire pair of socks went missing, it's likely you wouldn't even miss them, particularly if it was a pair of socks much like several others you own.  As a sock owner then the dilemma becomes do you or don't you throw out the remaining orphan sock.  One part of you rationalizes that the missing sock is sure to show up SOME DAY, so it stands to reason that if you toss out one sock, then you are guaranteed to never have a pair.  Personally, I have found that a missing sock remains missing.  I used to find socks heavy with static clinging to the underside of a t-shirt that would sort it's self out eventually when the shirt in question is worn.  Now with all the new products available, static cling isn't much of a problem anymore.  Now if I was a smart person, I would gather up all of my socks and put them in a mesh bag before washing. It seems unlikely that socks would go missing if they were all huddled together for laundry day.

I don't know about you but I have a sock cemetery beside my bed.  I generally go to bed each night with a pair of socks on, and during the course of the night become too hot and take the socks off.  Some of the socks actually make it to the floor where they gather in a pile for my future use.  Those socks are easy to find.  Others get tangled in with the bedding and are harder to find partly because I don't have any desire at bedtime to rummage around in the bed to find an orphan sock (or two). 

The trick is to always wear odd socks - the missing ones come creeping out of hiding and back into the drawer if totally ignored!  (Author unknown)

So spend some time today rummaging around in your sock drawer and see how many actual pairs you now have.

Happy Wednesday.

P

3 comments:

  1. That is crazy right? But true. I think l buy new socks at least once a year. Occasionally I go through the drawer, sort and then toss any strays, such a waste.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was amused by your title today, because I blogged about socks a few years ago - and, yes, I have a canister of stray socks. My blog: http://barbieq-s-bits.blogspot.com/2008/11/socks.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was amused by your Socks title, because I wrote one a few years ago. My blog about sick difficulties: http://barbieq-s-bits.blogspot.com/2008/11/socks.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...