Friday, October 18, 2013

Library

10/18/2013

Here's the deal.  If you're reading this on Thursday night then you know this post was/is intended for Friday.  Since I tend to get a bit worked up before an ECT treatment I thought I had better pound the keys tonight so that I didn't leave my faithful followers wondering where I've gotten off to.

Since Jeff and I are tightening up our budget belt this year, just casually ordering books on Amazon is a thing of the past.  And I do love Amazon - a lot.  I'm sure they miss my business but pretty sure they will continue to thrive.

Nope I have returned to an old and faithful friend - the library.  I read all the book reviews in magazines and then log on to the library's website and put holds on the books that I think I want to read.  Sure there is a waiting period for some of the books that I want but you can't beat the price - free!

I absolutely love book stores and libraries.  Who wouldn't?  I keep a list of authors I think are worth pursuing in my purse so if I'm just browsing at the library, I at least know which authors I'm interested in.  Truthfully I try and stay out of book stores - too much stimuli.  All of the books in the store call to me.  I love to run my fingers across the dust jackets and I'm always in awe of how many books are really out there, and how few of them I have actually read.


Sadly, books are expensive and hardbacks are really pricey.  You see the hardbacks selling for upwards of $20.00 and I am loath to spend that kind of money because I know I will only read the book ONCE.  I have made one exception to my one read rule and that was for "The Ladies of the Club" which I have read several times.  The Ladies of the Club book is so big and heavy that you could easily knock someone out cold if you hit them with the book (which I don't recommend).  I loaned out the "Ladies" book once to a friend and she brought it back to me several days later and said she just couldn't get into it.  After that I just keep the "Ladies" on the shelf.  I have no plans to ever part with the book and do appreciate that it could be a dull read for some people, particularly if you're not into lengthy descriptions.

Enjoy Friday.

P


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...