Sunday, October 6, 2013

Television and Books

10/6/2013

On Sunday mornings I get to do two of my favorite things.  I get to sit in my chair, drink coffee and have toast while I peruse the paper looking for this week's must see (at least in my world) television.  I also scan the bestseller list for this week so that I can make note of books I want to read, which I will order from the library.

On the bestseller list, the books that I'm most interested in reading are: The Racketeer by John Grisham; The Forgotten by David Baldacci; also by Baldacci is Hit; Mirror, Mirror which has stories from five authors on fairy tale classics such as Hansel and Gretel, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty.  In nonfiction a book that has me interested is Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey Into the Afterlife by Eben Alexander.  You might also want to read Heaven Is For Real by Todd Burpo, which is the story of a little boy who supposedly went to heaven and was returned.  Even if you don't believe in heaven, the book has a lot of beautiful descriptions of what this little boy saw and I enjoyed the book a great deal.

Here's what's going to be recorded at my house this week:

Sunday night shows:  As you can see Sunday night recording requires a bit of maneuvering to get all the shows we want to watch.  Some of the shows on Showtime, for instance, are available later in the week and that gives me some room for other broadcast shows.

Sixty Minutes
Masterpiece Classic at 9:00 on PBS
Masters of Sex on Showtime
Alaskan Women Looking for Love
Homeland on Showtime
The Good Wife
The Amazing Race
The Mentalist

Secrets of Highclere Castle on PBS on Tuesday
Movie on Hallmark: Signed, Sealed, Delivered - Saturday night
MasterChef on Friday night
Survivor on Wednesday


After I review the tv guide, then I sit down at the television with Tivo remote in hand and try to juggle the best night of television - which is Sunday night.  Everything is on and generally delayed thanks to a football game.  I have to allow for the game to go past it's allotted time so I always allow at least an extra hour to be sure that I get all my shows.

The above shows are "must see" television.  I can then junk up my television schedule with Chopped; Say Yes to the Dress; The Real Housewives of ..... ;Cutthroat Kitchen; Storage Wars; Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives; and Mystery Diners and any and all kinds of cooking shows.

I will confess I am a reality show junkie.  I loved the Bachelor or Bachelorette when they were on and I love the Real Housewives.  These shows are not great television but they are entertaining!  If somebody wants to go on national television and make a fool out of themselves, I'm generally willing to watch.

I will go to the den, marker in one hand, Tivo remote in the other and plan out my week of television.  Lucky for me Jeff doesn't have too many opinions about what we watch.  He may give me grief for all the reality and cooking shows, but he's fine with them as long as he doesn't have to watch them!

Have a relaxing Sunday.

Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless.  ~Bill Watterson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...