Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Volunteer

10/30/2013

Thanks to a schedule change for the adult day program I attend at the hospital I have today off.  Going forward I will attend 3 times a week and sometimes 4.  But no more weekends, which makes me happy. Before I left the program yesterday I talked to my counselor and we discussed the possibility of my looking for volunteer opportunities.  If I volunteered then I could be doing something useful with my time that would benefit another person(s) and force me to get out of the house, which would benefit me.

The local county website has hundreds of volunteer opportunities to choose from and some of the ones that interested me the most were either working with animals or senior citizens.  I also checked out the local Methodist retirement community's website and they have an actual volunteer coordinator.  I have written to this individual expressing an interest in volunteering.  Now it's wait and see time.  In all of my hospital stays this year (and there have been more than a few), I find that I gravitate toward older people - hence my thought that I might be useful in a retirement community.  What I do know is this: I have reached out to someone which is the first step and a big one for me.  It would be much easier for me to stay inside the house and isolate - which hasn't been so healthy for me in the past.  

I'll keep you posted on my success with volunteering which is something I have never done before.  I'm hoping that I can be useful to somebody.

Happy Wednesday.

P

1 comment:

  1. I always have a check of a time posting a comment here. Good for you, that is a great idea and you are quite brave to step our there. I hope it brings you joy and accomplishment. Can't wait to see what you end up doing...so exciting!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...