Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Christmas Time?

11/15/2017

I can almost hear the groans from just reading the title.  But, as much as you might not like it, Christmas is coming.  You can be working on getting your cards and some shopping done now, or brace yourself for expedited shipping costs and sold out "must have" new products.  Happily, I don't fall into the wait too long category.  My family knows that I prepare my buying list early (actually it's already done), and then set about finding and buying said items.

Yesterday, I bought my first Christmas presents.  A gift for Wendy and one for Elly.  I'm obviously not done with my shopping, but you have to start somewhere.  I have always enjoyed the hunt for the perfect gift for everybody, but detest mightily wrapping.  My idea of wrapping is a plain box sealed with tape and the recipients name scrawled on top with a magic marker.  The boys know that they will always receive at least one dreaded shirt box, which means clothes.  And yes, there is a shirt box coming again this year.  Sorry boys.

I'm wondering if I can enlist the help of Wendy and/or Stacey to wrap for me.  I know that the sound of ripping wrapping paper is all part of the fun of Christmas.  My mother-in-law would save the wrapping paper and bows/ribbons to "iron" out for reuse.  Um, I don't do that.  Never have, never will.  Just too lazy to do all of that.

Jeff and I haven't put up our artificial tree, hung garland, etc., in several years.  We haven't quite gotten to the bah humbug stage, but we're close.  Christmas day hasn't actually been at our house for several years also.  A correlation perhaps?

I'm thinking of asking Stacey, Benjamin and/or Wendy and Elly to come and help me decorate.  Or, truthfully, decorate while I watch the magic happen.  I love the Hallmark Christmas movies and watch them when Jeff isn't home.  The commercials for these movies can be at times a "tad" bit sugary. But, on the plus side, they are warm movies where everything all comes to a perfect ending.  For most people, the holidays are fraught with emotions, opinions, etc.  When it comes to a discussion about pretty much anything, I always have no opinion.  I'd rather be thought of as not up-to-the current news, then engage in a discussion, which can sometimes be quite heated.  Nope, not for me.

Jeff and I own some CD's of classic Christmas songs.  Those CD's are in the "thingy" that stores CD's and you can pick out CD's by number.  I know, for instance, that the Christmas music, starts at number 50.  I normally play them early, so it's about time to turn the stereo on and let singers like Bing Crosby, Elvis and others ring in the season.  I happen to think the Christmas songs are some of the best.  That's just my opinion.

The house was cleaned yesterday, so all that's left to do, is put the laundry away and perhaps tidy up a spare bedroom.  Or not.  Depends on my mood I guess.

I've been stuffing the envelopes for 4A while I watch television.  It's a chore that doesn't need concentration.  I put on return labels, lick (ugh) the envelopes shut and once Jeff has printed out the labels for the cards, affix them and I'm off to the post office.  I get them to weigh one envelope and then I ask for that amount of postage for how ever many cards I'm sending.  This is all done long before the post office becomes frantic with people shipping out boxes and cards at the last minute.

I have no more doctor appointments until next week.  Yippee.  It might be a bit chilly outside, but the sky is blue and the oak and maple tree leaves are yellow and orange - beautiful - until they fall to the ground and you have to pick them up!

P
My wrapped gifts don't look quite that bad, but they're close!

Image result for pictures of badly wrapped christmas presents


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...