Thursday, November 2, 2017

Things We Never Thought We'd Have

11/2/2017

Jeff and I have been married a very long time.  I use the words "very long" because more marriages than you can imagine end in divorce every day.  When we first married, still young and flexible, we wanted to buy a Gold Wing Motorcycle.  We had visions of flying down the highways with the wind in our face and bugs in our teeth.  But, then we had children and our expenses grew, and our dreams of motorcycling became a thing in the past.  Just a dream we had.

When we first met Wendy, she owned a 2011 BMW Z3 convertible.  Not an easy car to get in and out of, but riding along with Wendy while we shopped for baby things, and the top down was such a pleasure.  I had never been in a convertible before and found that riding with the top down makes conversation a bit difficult, but very mind clearing.

When Wendy passed away, we bought the "Zippy Z" from the estate.  For years, we have enjoyed this car and over time have put on a new top and repaired or replaced (can't remember which) the seats. But the car is old, and the top goes up and down uh most of the time and there are a number of other things that need to be repaired/replaced on this car.  

Like our neighbors, who winter in Florida, the "Z" was parked at Scott's house during the winter months, because he has room in his garage for two cars and we don't.  In the spring, the "Z" would come back out from hibernation to be used during the warmer months.

And because you never know when life is going to make a turn, and while we weren't actively looking for a "new - to us) convertible, one just nearly fell in our laps.  Jeff happened to find a used Mercedes convertible, white with a black top.  And, in the dead of winter, last year we bought that car.  It even blows warm air on the back of your neck, if you get cold.  My description of the car is that it's sexy as hell.  Practical?  Well, more practical than the "Z" which had almost no trunk space, so if you think of the larger trunk on the new car, then yes it's practical.  When there is a snow or ice storm, Jeff takes my car, which is heavier and does better on wintry roads.

We've talked several times about selling the "Z" because it's no longer needed or wanted by us.  And, this past week, our mechanic told us that he knew somebody who wanted to buy the "Z".  Wow, we weren't expecting this kind of offer to just fall in our laps.  We agreed to the price offered.  So all that's left to do, is transfer the title, remove the plates (I think we do that), and empty out the contents of the glove box, etc.  While I know in my mind that this is absolutely the right thing to do, my heart doesn't quite feel that way.  When we sell the "Z", other than her grandfather clock, which we bought to keep for Benjamin, it will be our last large tangible piece we have of Wendy.  I have kept her wedding dress purely for sentimental reasons.  I still remember how thrilled she was when we took her to Nordstroms and found a beautiful dress for her to wear on her wedding day.  Am I going to get rid of it?  Nope.  My friends think I'm way too sentimental and that I hang on to too much stuff.  And, I disagree.  When I open my hope chest, and look through the contents, I can recall my memories both good and bad.  Some day I will or may be forced to sell the chest, and on some level that will be okay, because I will just transfer all of the contents into cardboard boxes!


P



Disclaimer: this is what the "Z" looks like, even down to the color of the car, but it's not Wendy's car, nor is that my hope chest, but you get the idea.


Image result for picture of 2001 bmw z3Image result for picture of filled hope chest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...