Monday, May 21, 2018

Brown Bag

5/21/2018

Some of you, and perhaps most of you, remember the brown grocery store bag.  Along with the brown bag, the cashier emptied your cart.  Alas, those days are gone, and they're not coming back.

When Jeff ordered our dinner from Outback, it came in a brown, handled bag.  Just seeing the brown paper bag, brought back a lot of memories.

When I was in school, and that was a looooong time ago, one of the first things you had to do at the start of the school year, was to cover your books, you guessed it, brown paper.

The best part of having a covered book, was that you could doddle on that book, to your heart's content.  When the book cover was worn, or their was no place left to write on, you simply replaced it. It was as easy as that.

Need to wrap a present, but don't have any wrapping paper around, you could for some events, not a wedding of course, use brown paper. If you were feeling artsy/fartsy (however you spell it), you could add stickers or use rubber stamps for decoration.

We are in a protect the environment stage, and there's nothing wrong with that, but your groceries, or anything else, comes in a plastic bag.  What happens to those bags?  After you have built up a stock pile of plastic bags, they get tossed out in the garbage.

You can obviously, bring your own canvas, plastic or whatever bag to use for your purchases.  But, I often leave the house, get to the store and then remember I left my bag(s) at home!

So there you have it.  The older Jeff and I get, the more changes to our life.  Things that we grew up with, for example, records are pretty much a thing of the past.  And, obviously the world wide web hadn't yet become a "thing".  However did we get needed information, before search engines (Google)?  Oh, I remember we used encyclopedias, or went to the library (remember those?) and checked out relevant books.

Getting my head shrunk today, so I have to close so that I can get myself ready.

After days and days of rain, I'm happy to see sunshine.  It's a top down in Jeff's car.

P



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...