Thursday, May 31, 2018

The Rich, The Famous and the Stupid

5/31/2018

I'm climbing up on my soap box today.  So, you know that I feel passionate about what I'm going to write today.

First, I want to say that, as a woman, I am genuinely disturbed by the number of women who have come forward to meet their predators.  I applaud them for putting themselves out there. I'm also really troubled when an actor, for instance, that I like, finds himself in the cross hairs of a case of he said/she said.  For the most part, I side with the women, who have said and/or done very little through the years, until the "me too" movement began. 

When I started my career, just a few years past the "stone age", that was the early 70's, women, and myself personally, were harassed continuously.  We had no voice. We sucked it up, because speaking up would likely as not, would have your employment terminated.

As a young woman, working for a large company, I literally had to ask my supervisor if I could go to the bathroom.  I know that sounds horrible reading about it today, but that's what the women in the office endured.

I worked for another company, and I was the only woman in the department.  The men, decided to give me a task.  I was supposed to divide some horrifically high number by two, until I came up with zero.  Trouble is, that number would never go to zero, but I didn't know that.  I worked and worked on this, until the men told me that it was a joke.  Was it?  Not in my book it wasn't, it was just mean spirited.

I've had a stapler thrown at me, endured rude remarks and questionable actions by men.  In one company, I took my shoes off while I worked.  Unbeknownst to me, until the end of the day, that the men had taken away one of my shoes.  Determined to not let my anger show, I drove home, with only one shoe.  The shoe was returned the next day, but in my book, it was a little to late.

Fast forward to the present.  Roseanne is just one of the rich (I assume she is), and famous (more or less) who wrote in a public forum, a vial and racist comment.  I admire the studio, cancelling her show on the spot.  Good for them.  For me, it would serve her right if she was shut off from all acting jobs in the future.  When you go public with your opinion, regardless of who you are, you'd better watch out for the backlash.  It's bad enough that Roseanne was fired, but by her actions, the rest of the cast are out of their jobs too.  Was it really worth it? Um, playing "Sunday quarterback", perhaps Roseanne is regretting her action, but apologies, at this point, are worthless, in my opinion.  

I'm sure before the week is out, give or take a week or two, some other powerful man will come under public scrutiny.  And, that's just sad.

P

 Image result for picture of a woman on a soap box
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...