Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Late, But Not Forgotten!

8/6/2019

This morning, I went about ordering a backpack for Benjamin. He is starting 6th grade, and needs a backpack. And, I, Mom Mom wants to get him the backpack that he wants. And, you're saying to yourself "of course you do".

I have spent way too much time trying to personalize the back pack that he wanted. He wanted a monster and his initials. After talking to customer service at Lands End, you can have ONE design or initials, but not both. So, there is 30 minutes I'm not going to get back. But, it's a labor of love, so that makes it okay.  

I, will go upstairs in a moment, not willingly, but going up just the same. I have one spare bedroom, not completely in shambles, but close. The other bedroom is the stuff that nightmares are made of!

I have a donate bag, but I've been very stingy on what I put in that bag. I have an absolute fear about donating my "big girl" clothes, and needing them in the future. I've been "dieting", if you will since November. And, the reward has been very good (i.e., weight loss). While I started out with eating almost only high protein foods and drinks, I have now scaled back to using the old formula - eat less and exercise more. Well, the exercise more doesn't exactly work for me, since I get a lot of pain in my lower body. Hence, the diet, or hence the life style. I have to remember the motto: I eat to live - not I live to eat! Big difference there.

Feeling frustrated going through clothes, I think I'll just take up large plastic bags, and will someday, attempt once again, to sort out the clothes. Or, there is always the possibility that I'll actually forget (and that's not much of a stretch for me) what's in those bags. You can hide a lot of stuff behind closed doors! But, like Pandora's box, at some point, the clothes will come tumbling out! 

Here's the thing about women. We may, and probably do have, all the clothes we really need. I mean how many tops and blouses do you really need? Not too many when retired (but don't tell Jeff that). However, knowing this and seeing my clothes spread out on the floor, awaiting a decision from me, doesn't alter the fact that I always like a new piece of clothing. What woman doesn't! It's a gene thing, I think. (happy face here).
 

Marie Kondo, who helps people get organized, says that you should only keep clothes that spark joy. Seriously? I'm already mental enough, and I don't want to add talking to my clothes, into the mix.

I really can't think of a piece of clothing that I own, that brings me joy. Thinking about it, there is one piece of clothing that brings me joy. Can you? My wedding dress, which no longer fits, but it's safe in the hope chest.While it means a lot to me, the next generation will toss it out, and that's okay. I know the dress will have no sentimental value to the boys. Problem is, that I'm sentimental about pretty much everything - cards, artwork from Benjamin, sympathy cards, Benjamin's first pair of crocs, that are so tiny. In one of my cabinets in the living room, are a pair of felt baby shoes, that were mine. I have stuffed them with tissue paper so that they will keep their shape. Just think, those little shoes are now 70 years old. 

Have a wonderful day. I'll try and do the same.

P









No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...