Monday, May 18, 2020

What's In A Name?

519/2020

What's in a name you ask? Here's one thought that I've had. Why do some people, mostly women, attach their non-married name to their new last name?

I've tried doing this with my names. It just doesn't click. My birth last name was Carr. Okay, so I've tried putting my name in order, Patti, Carr, Bassett. It just sounds silly. So, let's try: Patti Jo Carr, Bassett. Hmm, not a winner.  

I have family as well as friends, who have been able to incorporate their original last name to their married name. And, their names seem to make sense. So, why doesn't mine? Who knows. Whenever, Jeff and I are in the south, everybody calls me Patti Jo. Back here at home, nobody uses my middle name. And, I have no idea why not.

I believe that back in the really olden days, the last name of Carr, was originally in England and eventually to Ireland. Wouldn't it be a kick if I had some royal blood in me? Of course, there is no chance for that. Dad always told me that he believed, again the olden, olden days, the Carr family were thieves, and robbed carriages! Great, What a great heredity. 

Then, there's my middle name Jo. Again, unusual circumstances for that name too. My mother went to a dentist, who's assistant's name was Jo. The dentist was having an affair with Jo. Mom liked that name so much, that Jo became my middle name. So, when you think about my lineage, I came from thieves and a woman who destroyed a marriage. Perfect. I've got a lot to be proud of.

When Wendy and Andrew started talking about names for what they thought of as "tadpole". Andrew wanted Wayne to be Benjamin's middle name. Wendy didn't want the name Wayne. Turns out, that the name Wayne is related to convicted and alleged murderers. A list done in 2008, showed that there were 223 killers with Wayne as part of their name! Great. 

Andrew doesn't like his middle name, with is Todd, named after a favorite uncle. IBoth Scott and Jeff have the same middle name: Thomas. I've told him, that he can always change his middle name. And, apparently to do so, turns out to be easy.

That's today's discussion about names. Everything and anything, you wanted to know! Please stay safe and indoors as much as possible. Even though, some, if not all of us, are trying to hang onto our sanity! As they say, this too will pass. Okay, I'm generally a patient person, but, while I have everything I need here at home, it's beginning to feel like prison!

Bassett Family Crest / Coat of Arms JPG or PDF Image Download

Carr Family Crest / Coat of Arms JPG or PDF Image Download




No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...