Thursday, September 20, 2012

Betty Crocker Award

9/20/2012

Betty Crocker Award

I bet you were unaware that you had a celebrity albeit a minor one in your presence did you?  Well I had my 5 minutes of fame back in 1967 as a senior in high school.  It's a fact.

I was a business major in high school and took only the most basic of home economic classes to fulfill requirements.  I wasn't too bad in the cooking class and even managed to produce a tasty dish of Welsh Rarebit.  Sewing class was a whole different ballgame - I really sucked at it - and I hated it.  I didn't care if my seams were crooked or my facings weren't perfect; but, apparently the teacher did because my grades reflected my inadequate abilities.

But back to my fame.  The senior girls competed in the spring for a local Betty Crocker Award that could become even a regional or national award.  Trouble was the home economics teacher didn't feel she had an adequate amount of girls to take the test so ALL senior girls had to participate.

What a waste of time and paper.  There were endless questions like: "you are having 8 people for dinner at 6:00, what time do you start cooking your 4 pound roast?"  This was followed up by another inane question about the temperature for your roast.  The answers were multiple-choice but "who cares" wasn't a selection!

I read questions about stuffed turkeys, uneven cakes and other useless (I thought) mundane stuff and here's how I answered - this is the truth I swear.  I just went down the questions and answered A-B-C-D etc. and then started over.  Well guess what my friends I won!  The home economic teacher, as well as her students, were not very happy with me so I kept the fact that I guessed all the answers to myself.  No sense adding insult to injury.

Needless to say my guessing game didn't afford me any further Betty Crocker awards but that was okay with me.  I wasn't, at the time, interested in anything having to do with kitchens and food.  Now had they given me a typewriter challenge that would have been a completely different story.

I just checked out the internet and there are actually stories about past winners.  Who knew?

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...