Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)

9/5/2012

"SAD"

I have just returned from having my head 'shrunk' which I do twice a month whether I need it or not.  My doctor has loaned me a "SAD" full spectrum light box to use each day for 30 minutes to see if extra bright light makes any difference in my depression.

I set the box up on my side table near my chair where I do just about everything from reading and knitting to coloring.  I did some catalog reading (favorite pastime) and knitting under the watchful eye of the box.  It's too soon to tell, obviously, if I will become giddy with joy after using it.  I can tell you this the sucker is bright and after you turn it off, your eyes need a few minutes to adjust to the 'dark'.

This loaner box is large and heavy; but, the doctor says they now make lights that are much more compact and easy to transport.  Some patients apparently take them to work every day - the "glow" must be impressive.

So with some medication adjustments today and my new best friend, wish me luck as I continue to travel down this seemingly never ending road of depression.  I'm being honest about this because I believe mental health conditions, of all kinds, should be talked about openly and without the stigma associated with them.

Here's to many days of sunshine for me!

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...