Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Books

9/12/2012

Books

I have had a love affair with books since I was a very young child.  My father used to read to me every night from the Little Golden Books (remember those?).  As I grew older and could read for myself my adoration for books did not dim - merely increased.  As a teenager I read voraciously and as a result was in constant trouble.  I'd "forget" to set the table, fold the laundry or do the dishes.  Books were and are a wonderful escape.  In a book you can be anyone and go anywhere and do anything.  The possibilities are endless.  

In the 60's I read wonderful authors such as Jacqueline Susann (Valley of the Dolls) and Harold Robbins (Carpetbaggers).  Lucky for me my mother had zero interest in books and wouldn't have known a "g" rated novel from a more risque one.  I reread Carpetbaggers a few years ago and it was just as good then as it was 40 years ago.

While I have moved away from "real" books in favor of electronic ones for which my bookshelves and nightstand thank me, there are two books that I will always keep.  One is "The Ladies of the Club" by Helen Hooven Santmyer and the other is "The Stand" by Stephen King.  Both of these are tomes and if thrown could seriously injury someone.

I don't read everything Stephen King writes but what I have read of his, The Stand is by far my favorite.  As for The Ladies of the Club I used to loan it out to friends because I loved the book with its very lengthy descriptions of everyone and everything.  The book was always returned within days and an apology that they just couldn't wade through the pages.  No apology necessary, to each his own.  

When I moved to Maryland and began working for attorneys, they suggested that I read less of Danielle Steele and try to expand my interests by reading more murder and mayhem type of books.  The first book they suggested I try was "Stone 588" by Gerald Browne.  The story is about a diamond with power and I loved it.  I have given it as a gift to numerous friends over the years.  

By trying that one book I was launched in many new directions and read many thrillers and mysteries filled with lots of bodies and gore.  A few years ago I mostly gave up on that kind of book and went back to what I refer to as "gentle reads" or "cozy murders".  Cozy murders does, of course, involve a murder but the sleuth is generally an amateur old busybody who gets in the way of the police and everyone else.  The murder makes the story - there is no blood - it's clean and quick - and we move on to finding the killer.  

As for gentle reads they are generally about a small town where not much happens, which is fine with me.  One of my favorite authors, who doesn't publish much, is Fannie Flagg.  If you haven't read anything by her, do yourself a favor and get to the library or the bookstore.  Her books are wonderful, peaceful, funny reads that will make you sad when they end.

Before sitting down to chat with all of you, I uploaded a new book on my Kindle called Harriet Beemer Takes the Bus which is about an old woman who bets her son that her ankle isn't broken.  If the ankle is broken (and it was), she must sell her house and move in with her son and daughter-in-law.  I think it's going to be a great read.

Enjoy your Wednesday and thanks for the positive comments which give me renewed energy and enthusiasm.

P

1 comment:

  1. Hi, good to see you back at it! Have you ever read the Sue Grafton books? I got hooked on them a few years ago, but be sure to read them in alphabetical order, they will make more sense regarding the ages of the characters.

    Have a good day!

    Ruthie

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...