Wednesday, March 25, 2015

The Easter Bunny, Easter Eggs and Chocolate Rabbits!

 

3/25/2015

Easter is almost upon us and there is much work to be done.  In preparation for the big day, eggs must be boiled and colored and most importantly numbered!  Do not make the same mistake that Jeff and I did one year when one egg wasn't discovered by the boys.  Needless to say, it made it's presence known to us later!!

When the boys were young, they colored their eggs with the traditional pastel colors and we always tried, unsuccessfully, to get those little stickers that come with the dye kit to stay on the eggs.  As the boys got older, the color of the eggs changed, soon they were dipping the eggs into a variety of colors and the end result made the eggs look like camouflage.  These were definitely not prettily colored eggs, but even so they still made for devilishly good deviled eggs!

Also when the boys were young, the bunny hid eggs pretty much out in the open, beside the sofa, on a kitchen chair and sometimes even inside their slippers!  As the boys got older, the bunny had to get more creative about hiding.  The top of a ceiling fan blade is a good choice.  But a piece of advice - it helps if you dust the blade first otherwise not only will the egg come down but so will the dust!

Yesterday, I helped a neighbor put candy inside plastic eggs for the Easter Egg hunt at her church.  After finishing the eggs I began to wonder just how many of these eggs are sold each year - and you know how much I love research, but sadly I was unable to actual pin down a number.  What I did discover is that there is a company that makes hinged plastic eggs, which would have been very helpful yesterday.  There are now glow in the dark eggs, marbleized and polka dotted eggs.  Boy have times changed since Jeff and I were buying eggs.

So some time after finding (hopefully) all of the real and some number of plastic eggs, which are never saved from year to year - just too much trouble, comes the eating of the chocolate rabbits.  In case you're in the dark about the proper way to do so - you must always start with the ears.  By the way 90 million rabbits are made each year - that's a lot of ears.  Here's also some fun facts I found: 
Chocolate bunnies should be eaten ears first, according to 76% of Americans. Five percent said bunnies should be eaten feet first, while 4% favored eating the tail first.  

Of course besides chocolate rabbits there is also a fair amount of candy found in an Easter basket.  As a child I used to love Jelly Beans - now - not so much.  The one kind of egg I never received, nor for that matter gave to the boys was the panorama egg.  Who knows maybe only little girls like this kind of decorated egg, but I still think they are beautiful.


 Please enjoy with your little, or perhaps not so little, ones the family tradition of coloring eggs and I believe you're never too old for a chocolate bunny.

P

Beautiful Panoramic Sugar Easter Eggs with adorable scenes inside. (Large Size)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...