Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Birthday Shin-Dig

4/28/2015

This Saturday, Jeff and I are going to Scott's house for dinner and to help him celebrate his 37th birthday!  I know, I know, I look way too young to have a son that old - but when you've got great genes what can I say.

I've booked myself to bring deviled eggs - lots. It is amazing how fast those little buggers can get consumed.  If you try to be delicate and eat only half, you may end up with the other half on your lap.  So, it's probably to just pop the whole thing in your mouth and for a few seconds be unable to speak, unless you want to spit out egg along with your words!  Not a pretty sight I assure you.

I've also opted to bring a bean dish.  Don't groan this casserole of sorts is very good and was always a hit when I served it.  And no if you're wondering, it's not just a can of beans heated up.  Here's the recipe.  If you make it - they will eat it - I promise!



Fourth of July Bean Casserole

Background:  this recipe came from a Taste of Cooking magazine in 1994.  The beans are delicious and is one  of the boys’ favorite dishes.

½ pound sliced bacon, diced
½ pound ground beef
1 c chopped onion
1 can (28 oz) pork and beans
1 can (17 oz) lima beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
½ c barbecue sauce
½ c ketchup
½ c sugar
½ c packed brown sugar
2 T prepared mustard
2 T molasses
1 teas. salt
½ teas. chili powder

In a large skillet, cook bacon, beef and onion until meat is  browned and onion is tender.  Drain and transfer to a greased baking dish (I use a crock pot instead).  Add all of the beans and mix well.  In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and stir into the beef and bean mixture.  Cover and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes.  Or put in the crock pot for several hours.

So while the recipe does call for pork and beans, by the time you add in all the other stuff, it becomes so much more.  For your next "BYOD" (bring your own dish) event, you might try this.

P



No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...