Saturday, April 11, 2015

The Tax Man Cometh!

4/11/2015

If you're looking at your calendar, you know that the 15th is coming up fast.  Years ago, before the days of Turbo Tax, Jeff and I had our taxes done by an accountant.  I don't remember what we paid, but we always felt that if we were audited, we had the accountant to help us back up our deductions.  Also, a long time ago, you could claim as much sales tax as you could prove, so we saved every receipt and added them up at the end of the year!

Ah, then Turbo Tax came out, and people could and did do their own taxes.  We've been using the program for years, and feel very confident when we file our returns.  For many years, it seemed like all we did was pay on the 15th, until both Jeff and I stopped working in the last part of 2013 and all of 2014.  For sure, we still had to pay taxes on his pension and my disability, but in comparison to years when we were both working, the amount of money on the table was peanuts.

Now, Jeff is working full-time, which is a good thing.  I know he takes the maximum amount of with holdings he can, but over time, it seems like the interest on the house, is just about all you can write off.

So while I keep an eye on the boiling eggs for Jeff's macaroni salad, he's upstairs working away on the taxes and being able to "check the box" (so to speak) that the taxes are done!

Luckily, you can file your state and federal taxes on line, which eliminates the hassle of going to the post office to beat the clock on the night of the 14th!

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...