Friday, April 10, 2015

Ode to Suzie

4/10/2015

Today, with a heavy heart, I learned that Suzie, our yellow lab, passed away.  When Suzie was about a year old, she ran away during a heavy snowstorm and she went missing for quite a long time.  She survived by living under people's decks or porches and during the day ransacked garbage cans for food.

With the help of the Humane Society, Suzie was returned to us.  Trouble was it wasn't the same Suzie that we had before.  While on her own, we believe her "wild dog" instincts kicked in and once she was home, it was apparent that in some ways, she was not like the dog we had known.  

Suzie was still a lovable lab but over the years, her behavior over food became a problem.  She was able to pull on the buffet knobs because she could smell candy inside!  Tin cans?  No problem.  One Christmas she detected food in one of the packages, and ripped it up.  New cell phones in their blister pack were found outside where she had tried to chew through the plastic.

We knew what her behavior was all about, but it didn't always make it easy to make sure that ALL food, for she wasn't particular, was put away out of her reach.  When Scott got married, he and his wife, took Suzie to live with them and they took good care of her.  

Scott lives in a house on acreage and has three Mastiffs who also live with him.  On Facebook, Scott posted a very nice video of Suzie swimming in a pool when we were vacationing in the Outer Banks.  It was a wonderful tribute to her and I thank Scott for giving us such a beautiful memory.

This fall, Suzie would have been 15.  While she hasn't lived with us for a long time, her passing has left me sad and full of tears, but I know she's in a better place where there is no pain.  

Scott and Jackie, I'm sorry for your loss.  You both took very good care of her, and I know you'll miss her. 

This picture isn't of Suzie, but it could be.  



PImage result for yellow lab

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...