Thursday, April 23, 2015

Dame Edna in Review

4/23/2015

When Jeff got home yesterday, he reminded me that I had promised to write about the show on Wednesday - and surprise, surprise - I forgot!  That hardly ever happens :)

Stacey and I were front row balcony and had the first two seats.  We liked these seats because it would mean not having to leave your seat and go through "excuse me, excuse me" and knocking into everyone's knees on your way out!  You can be the bumpee or the bumpor.  I'm not sure which one we were, but we had to stand up several times to let folks in or out.

Dame Edna's costumes, one in pink the other blue were, in a word, bedazzled.  There were so many "diamonds" on her dresses and she wore a lot of glittery diamond jewelry, that even if you were in the "cheap" seats, you would still be able to see her.  Of course, her lavender hair, the heavily decorated cat eyeglasses and her delightful way with the audience was fabulous.  She managed to find in the front row a Paula, a Paulette as well as a Paul!  All three of these people played along when she asked them were they lived and did they live in a house, etc.

At the end of the show, she and her dancers threw gladiolas into the audience.  It was hard to see from where we were seating, whether they were real or not, but I suspect they were artificial.  There was a standing ovation, of course, and nobody in the audience wanted the show to end.

After the audience had become quiet, then Barry Humphries came out to tell us that perhaps the Dame Edna Farewell Tour might actually not be her farewell tour.  Barry was born in 1934, which makes him 81 and he's still kicking up his heels.  Barry's Edna has been around for 50 years.

Here is a picture of the man behind the woman who we all love and hope that there might be another farewell, farewell tour!  If Edna ever returns to D.C. - I'm in!

Barry Humphries July 2001.jpg 

p

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...