Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Do I Need To Build An Ark?

5/11/2016

You know the saying about April showers bring May flowers?  Well this spring has brought May showers, lots of them in fact.  The upside of all this rain is how green everything is.  The downside is the dreary weather is hard on people.  I know this because I have the seasonal disorder thing where I need sunshine.  As I type this, my "Happy Light" is on giving me artificial sun.

When Jeff and I moved to Maryland 30 years ago (can it really be that long?), our first spring was delightful.  When you live in California, you have only two seasons, hot summer and warm winter.  the main colors in California are tan and or brown.  With water restrictions in place now, I'm sure it's difficult if not impossible to have a green lawn.

Even this many years later, I love to watch my oak trees come to life each spring.  The dogwood tree develops beautiful flowers and my perennial flowers pop out of the ground.  There is something else that pops out of the ground and that is weeds.  I'm not in the best of shape (ya think?), so as long as the weeds are green, I tend to just leave them alone.  In the past I have pulled weeds and felt good about my progress and then only a few days later, their back!  If I was rich (okay to insert laugh here), I'd pay somebody to manicure the lawn and flower beds on a regular basis.  If somebody else was doing the work, then I would sit back in my lawn chair with the appropriate cold drink and drink in the beauty of Mother Nature.

We have several ornamental grass plants in the yard.  They are beautiful with lush green leaves and get bigger each year.  In the winter the plants dry and turn into a tannish color.  Once spring arrives, you have to cut down the old grass to make room for the new grass.  Last year, I tried to cut down the grass by hand, which takes a lot of work.  First you have to cut the grass and then you have to bag all the pieces for recycling.  This year, I took a different approach.  I let the lawn service people cut the grasses down as well as pick up all the cut pieces.  Worked beautifully.  The grasses are green again and they are truly beautiful additions to the yard.

Since I don't have any errands to run today, I'll just stay inside and wait for the sun to shine (hopefully).

P

Image result for picture of ornamental grassImage result for picture of ornamental grass

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...