Thursday, May 12, 2016

You Know You're Getting Old When ....

5/12/2016

By simply looking at my birth date (1949), I know I'm old by most people's standards.  And, by looking in the mirror (horrors), I am greeted with sagging, spotted skin, and gray hair that refuses to surrender to a curl!

Yesterday, in the mail, I received a packet of offers from various companies.  I was sent a postcard for, among other things: a "fashionable" walking cane; a "I'm Home Alone" necklace; hearing aids; a step-in bath; bladder control products; a better catheter (really?); and finally a stairlift.

Was there a bulletin sent out to corporations that I was indeed old and that I might need one or two specialized products?  The only one that I would remotely consider is the step-in bath, since getting in and out of the tub requires a great deal of maneuvering and water splashing onto the floor!  Trust me, it's not a pretty picture, so I don't bother with the tub any longer.

Perhaps when my parents were my age, the world seemed to be changing faster than they could understand.  I know it's true for me.  I am not "hip" with the music, the ever increasing changes in technology (that's a biggie) and current fashions.  

Companies cater to the young, but I think they have their thinking hats screwed on backwards.  Boomers, and there are a lot of us, have money to spend and yet we are passed by.  Television shows are generally geared to a much younger crowd, clothes certainly are and most of us can live without twitter and instagram.  Most people, including us oldies are connected at the hip to their cellphone.  I think my cellphone is in a basket in the kitchen, with an uncharged battery.  I wouldn't drive and talk, and my friends know that while I think of them often, just don't make calls.  It's who I am.

I don't believe the world is passing me by.  Rather, I allow the world to do so.  I still know how to use a computer and can type like the wind.  But, operating the DVD player, is a different ballgame altogether!

P

Image result for picture of baby boomer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...