Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Undercover Boss

5/24/2016

Some of you may watch the show Undercover Boss.  I'm pretty sure that the employees who "train" the apprentice (i.e., the boss) are selected somehow.  I feel this way because each of these employees has a sad tale to tell.  They're supporting their entire family on minimal wages.  They're recovering from addiction; they have no car; can't afford college, etc.

Some of the bosses, when the employees come back to tell him how "x" had done at his/her assigned task, are very generous.  College money is given.  A new car, a vacation, a big raise.  Other bosses do reward their employees but appear to be a little stingy with the money.

Last night I watched Undercover Boss for Der Wienerschnitzel.  This show was important to me, because in my first life, when I had almost no extra money for luxuries (daycare was expensive), I allowed myself a hot dog each payday.

I didn't drive or have a car.  I worked in a one woman/man office.  On payday, I closed the office and walked to the bank to deposit my check (you remember doing this at one time don't you?) and get a bit of cash.  I then walked over to Der Wienerschnitzel and bought myself a mustard hot dog.  The price for that dog is about $1.50 today, so it must have been much cheaper in 1974.  I always took my lunch back to work and would open the office back up, and generally sat on the stairs and had lunch with the office worker from downstairs.  Memories.

The CEO of Der Wienerschnitzel gave money to her employees, gave a new car to one young man, promoted another to Executive Chef at headquarters and gave an employee her own franchise store.  Pretty good.

Even knowing, or at least being pretty sure I know, that the show is scripted, I still like watching as people who are struggling with money and/or life issues, are given a reprieve to their problems.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...