Sunday, May 15, 2016

Going Vinyl

5/15/2016

Some of you will remember records.  You know those round black things that you played on a turntable.  Younger people will likely only know that playing records was a thing of the past by the time they were in their teens.

Jeff and I have a stash of LP's (long playing) records in the basement.  And, yes we do have a turntable that will play those records.  Let's just say it's been years, over 30 to be exact since we put on a record.  

I found in the local paper, six rules of record collecting, and I'm going to share those with you.

  • Never throw out your semi-embarrassing teen-aged records.  I actually don't think we own any of those, but the music produced in the 60's is my all time favorite period.  Occasionally, a throw back to the 50's and some 70's music.  After that, in my humble opinion, everything just sounds like noise, and not in a good way. 
  • When buying a turntable, don't buy cute record players that look old.  These turntables are cute and cheap, but apparently the tonearms on these players is so heavy they'll wear down your vinyl.
  • Be a collector, not a hoarder.  Only keep records that hold some nostalgia for you.  Some times you just have to let go and I know it's hard.  
  • Store your records upright on a book shelf and not on the floor.
  • Record covers are works of art.
  • Keep your records clean.  You can do this by washing them with soap and water, but doing so doesn't get into the grooves.  Or you could buy a record cleaning machine for about $750.  This option would be for people who are really into their records and enjoy playing them.
One our favorite albums was Herb Alpert's Whipped Cream and Other Delights.  This is a wonderful  example of record art.  Another favorite is Dean Martin (and some of you are going who?), but he had a lovely voice and was easy on the eyes too boot!

What kind of music do you have stored in your basement or attic?

P

Image result for album covers for dean martin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...