Friday, August 25, 2017

How It's Made

8/25/2017

There is a television show called "How It's Made".  Normally, this wouldn't have got my attention, but I checked out one episode and enjoyed seeing the ins and outs of making certain products.  Think of it as a mini tour of a factory.  What I noticed for many of these companies how much work is manual.  For instance, carved candles, which are beautiful, are carved one at a time by a person.  This takes great skill, to make these candles.

Lipstick is also partway manual too.  The lipstick itself is obviously made in a large vat, but part of the manufacturing process is done by hand.  I watched a tour of a factory that makes "sugared cereal".  Think Frosted Flakes, or as I call them Frosty Flakes.  Once the grain is ready to be processed, the flakes go into two different directions.  On one side they make granola, and on the other, by beloved Frosties.   

When you watch shoes like this, you get a real appreciation for some of the products we buy.  It's pretty obvious that manufacturing products this way, does in no way, make up the majority of products sold in stores.  We all know that China makes a lot or most of the things we now buy.  China can make things cheaper than say these factories who have real people making things.  It would be wonderful if we could only buy U.S. made products, but that's no longer reasonable.  I suspect, actually I'm pretty sure I know, that we'd have to pay much more for products mostly made manually.  You may want to check this show out, because it's pretty fascinating.

My home health aide is coming shortly, so I'd better tidy things up a bit.  I know that sounds ridiculous, but pretty much everyone I know tries to put their house in order, before the house is cleaned!  

Happy Friday everyone.

P




No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...