Friday, August 18, 2017

Medicare Billing

8/18/2017

As a recipient of services provided to me and paid by Medicare, I can see how quickly the amount charged, has no real correlation to the services.  For instance, yesterday I had physical therapy.  The therapist was in the house maybe all of 10-15 minutes and did absolutely nothing for me.  I don't know, but I suspect that Medicare will be billed for a 30 minute visit - and that's just wrong.

The nurse, who I no longer need, has scheduled four more visits with me, until the end of August.  She comes in, takes my blood pressure and pulse and asks me what my pain level is, and then she leaves.  I don't need additional services from a nurse.  When she first came out, I had an open wound that needed attention.  The wound has closed, so I don't know why she has to keep coming out.  Again, Medicare will pay for all these rather unnecessary visits, I know.  

Earlier this summer, I went to see a doctor and while checking out, Stacey grabbed my discharge notes, which she wasn't supposed to have seen, and sure enough in the right corner was a sticker that said Medicare.  Would I have gotten better care, or a longer visit, IF I wasn't tagged as a Medicare patient?  I don't know.  But, what I do know is that doctors amp up the cost of their services to some unreasonable price and then Medicare pays only "x" dollars.  The "x" dollars the doctor receives is probably the REAL cost of a visit.  

I have reached that certain age, where Medicare pays the lion's share of all my medical costs.  I have worked for many years to get to this point in my life, where Medicare and my supplemental insurance pay for most, if not all, of my medical expenses.  What's wrong is the abuse of the system. I don't have private medical insurance any longer.  So I really do rely on Medicare to pay for any services I've incurred.  That's why Medicare is in place.

A recent doctor's visit was billed to Medicare for $152.00.  Medicare paid $65.78.  The amount Medicare actually paid was more than likely a more accurate charge for the visit.

Okay, climbing off my soap box now!  😃

It's Friday, so I know everybody is looking forward to the weekend.  I hope it's a good one.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...