Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Fourth of July

7/3/2019

Tomorrow, will be all about patriotism, fireworks and concerts. Jeff and I have never gone into DC to watch the concerts and/or fireworks. Would it be kind of neat to actually see everything live. Of course, we would have to fight the Metro going and coming. And, if you bring lawn chairs - guess what, you get to bring those too. The ride on the Metro going into DC might not be too bad, but the ride home, would be, I assume, would be horrible. When the event is over, lots of people, statistically speaking, could up upwards of 400,000 people all trying to get on the Metro at one time! And, that number was from seven years ago. I don't know about you, but I don't want to join the huddled masses trying to get home.  

The other solution, and a much better one by far, in my opinion, is to stay home. Prop yourself up in the recliner, eat popcorn perhaps, and sit back and watch the show. There will be nobody sitting in front of me, blocking my view, or sitting on the ground (unless you're willing to drag a lawn chair with you). And, I wouldn't even consider doing that.

Unlike our dog, Old Sam, who went absolutely nuts when he heard fireworks, Bella and Daisy are more chill. They don't care about loud noises, unless the doorbell rings. Then all manner of noise starts up, barking non-stop, until the threat has been identified. Ada has been coming weekly to clean the house for quite some time. Even though Bella knows Ada, she believes she needs to guard the house, at all cost. Luckily, the only thing she does is bark at Ada. After barking, she retreats back into Jeff's office.

When the boys were little, and we lived in California (not that made much of a difference), we always bought a few firecrackers. We lived on a dead end street, and for safety, always had the hose nearby. One of the things we bought, and the boys enjoyed, and I don't know if they even make them anymore, was what I will call a "snake". It was a little black thing (whatever it was really called). One lit, the little snake would unfurl and wiggle around. The boys always enjoyed this, and it was relatively safe. I don't know if they even make them anymore. Actually, I think sparklers are more dangerous. Checking the statistics, in 2017, 12,900 were injured and 8 people died from using sparklers. But, sparklers bring in a lot of money. Can't seem to find that number, during my searching. Sparklers are pretty inexpensive, relative to other fireworks. You can buy sparklers for as little as $1.96. When I was young, we always had sparklers on the 4th of July. At that time, there were no warning labels on fireworks, at least none that I can remember. And, I loved swirling around the sparklers, creating all kinds of designs. But, that was a different time.

Here's a picture of a snake that has been lit and has started to unfurl:

 Image result for picture of vintage black snake firework

Be safe tomorrow. I won't blog tomorrow, but I'll be back on Friday.

 Image result for picture of fireworks

P

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...