Friday, July 27, 2018

Dog Training 101

7/27/2018

Ever trained a dog? Ever "tried" to train a dog? I've done both.  In my first life, Klutz (my first husband) and I owned a German Shepherd.  Our dog's name was Fang - don't ask my why.

We spent many hours taking Fang to obedience trials.  He did well except for standing, no matter how hard we tried, he wouldn't stay standing. And, this is a problem in obedience trials.

Fast forward to my current life. Jeff and I have owned multiple dogs in our 40+ years together. We once did a group class for one of our dogs, and passed with much success.  This is also where we were told that you had to use a correction word, other than the word no.  I don't know if the trainer suggested it, but we use "Fooey" for bad behavior.  I think the rationale behind the use of a different word, is you want the dog to associate his/her bad behavior.  So, if your go-to word is "no", then the dog will hear this work in normal conversation.

We've had Bella and Daisy for two years. The chewing on furniture, trees, and digging vast holes in the backyard have, for the most part, no longer a problem.

But, we're having absolutely making no progress in getting Daisy to go outside, rather than the basement floor!  Trust me, we've tried everything. Product after product and many days scrubbing with a brush.  All of this is to no avail.  

We have never used a personal trainer for our dogs before.  But, I think we've reached our breaking point, with Daisy.  The counter surfing by Bella, while a big problem, doesn't smell - thank goodness.  Of course, we have to go into the backyard to pick up any treasures you has taken outside. Most of the company's offer a free evaluation at the house. I assume, that personal dog training here at the house will have a high price tag.  But, if a dog trainer is successful, particularly with Daisy, it may well be worth the money.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...