Monday, August 27, 2018

Shopping

8/27/2018

Some of you "old timers", and perhaps even the younger generation, remembers when shopping meant going to an "actual" store! 

When I was a teenager, and we went to "town", that was somewhat of a dress up trip. Grandma, Mother and I donned our nicer clothes.  I can still remember the joy of going to a store that only sold hosiery. Behind the register was box after box of hosiery to choose from. The sales lady would take out the color you selected, and delicately put her hand inside the leg, to better show you what the hose would look like, color wise.

Department stores were different too. There was actual sales people on the floor, able and willing to help you.  Most department stores, at that time, had a hat section.  Grandma and I always went to try on hats first. It was such fun.

And, then I grew up. Shopping meant, for the most part, Sears and Penney's. Oh, how I dreaded the back to school shopping with the boys. This pair of jeans is too lose, too tight, too dark, etc. 

There was an abundance of shoe stores. Jeff and I believed in the importance of good fitting shoes for the boys. I also bought my shoes in an actual shoe store - wonderful!

Now, the world has grown up! I can't tell you when I was in an actual mall. But, though it's been years, I remember the lack of actual sales people available to help you. Oh, if you went to a high end store, sales people would flock to you.

Then, Amazon came into the picture, and everything you knew about shopping, flew out the window. Unfortunately, Amazon makes it super easy to make purchases. I know this, because I'm often using the "one click" button to buy stuff. Dog treats, clothes, shoes, gifts, and the list just goes on and on. When you're busy clicking on the "one click" button, you - meaning me - doesn't realize until the bill arrives, just how much money you - I - have spent.  Once the bill arrives, that's the day of reckoning, and it's not always pleasant. I buy my books, Kindle or paper, on Amazon. Those purchases I can more readily justify. 

One reason Amazon is so popular for me, is my inability to go to a store and browse and obviously buy something. There's something about driving into a wall, and having a busted wing, which makes my driving not an option at the moment. And so, I turn to on-line shopping. I can't leave the house, unless somebody takes me out, so Amazon fills my need to buy stuff. Each month, I promise to put the skids on about Amazon shopping. Trouble is, I generally don't follow through! Some of the things I buy, aren't what I wanted (needed!), so I've become very adept at sending these items back.  Apologies to Jeff, for my on-line shopping, but somehow it fills a need that I have, and I can't explain it.

You may notice that my blog is very late today. I didn't sleep well last night, so after breakfast, I snoozed in my recliner and slept for a long time.

P

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...