Saturday, September 14, 2019

What Do Pit Bulls and Senior Dogs Have in common?

9/14/2019

Here's something for you to think about. When you look at dogs available, let's say from a county animal shelter, there are two kinds of dogs that likely will never be adopted. And, those two dogs are (a) pit bulls and (b) senior dogs. This is just a fact. 

I, and I'm likely wrong, have a prejudice against pit bulls. They are, for me at least, frightening. I suspect, and maybe even know, that if you take a pit bull as a puppy, train and love them, they will turn out to be a good pet. Even so, it's not a dog that I will ever have in my house. Mostly, because of their history about biting dogs and people.

The other dog that nobody wants is a senior dog. Why? Well, in a word, they are seniors. Nobody wants to rescue a senior dog, because likely they won't or don't have a large life span. Big dogs, in particular, don't live as long as little dogs do.

The downside for these two types of dogs is, since nobody will adopt them, they are enthused, because nobody wants them. This is truly sad.

And, if you want to adopt a dog from a rescue organization, you have to jump through so many hoops to get an animal. 

I always wonder, do these people want to have the dogs adopted or not? It depends on the organization, but we have had to, in the past: take a picture of our backyard, the fence, have neighbors and/or friends vouch for us as good guys. And, a talk with our veterinarian to see if our other dogs are up to date on their shots.

By the time you get through all of this, people have a tendency, which I understand, to buy a dog. Craigslist has many dogs, of all sizes that you can have for a "small" re-homing fee! And, if you pay the re-homing fee, the dog is yours. No questions asked.

Obviously, we have the girls. But, I'm wondering if we could adopt and save a senior dog. Even knowing that the dog might not be with you all that long, should not be a factor in getting a senior dog.

The last time we adopted from an organization, I couldn't help wondering - do you want the dog to have a home - or not.

At the moment (don't tell Jeff) I'm looking around for a senior dog. These senior dogs, all have just one problem - they're getting old. And, frankly, we humans are aging too.

P

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...