Tuesday, September 17, 2019

A Book

9/17/2019

Years ago, a friend gave me a book titled "14,000 things to be happy about". I appreciate having the book, and have browsed the book many times.

The thing is, some of those "happy things" don't make a lot of sense to me. I guess I'm supposed to be happy with the color and contour of sheets? Truly, never given sheets that much consideration. I will tell you this, if I were Queen of anything, I would have new sheets put on my bed every day. That would be a luxury I could certainly get used to. Just saying.

Ball Mason jars. The real purpose of these jars is for canning (duh). Jeff and I used to make a really good salsa for canning. The end result was worth it, but the mess in the kitchen was undesirable! When we were making salsa, we weren't alone. We had a number of friends to help, and their pay? Fresh salsa of course.

Today, the Ball Mason jars serve other purposes: a vase for flowers, store things like buttons. Well, you get the idea. These are useful jars to have in the house.

I have long been a cake batter eater. I suspect that some of you out there are also guilty of this pleasure. Forget about the warnings on the box, batter has never made me sick.

When the boys were much younger, one of them decided to lick the batter off the beaters. This would have been okay, if the mixer wasn't plugged in at the time. This learning tool never had to be repeated!

My go to breakfast for most of my adult life has been toast. But, not just toast. When the toast is warm, a slathering of butter gets put on each piece. And, for even more mouth enjoyment, I put honey on too. I know, you're thinking that this is probably (and you're right) the most nourishing breakfast. I know this, but frankly don't care. If Jeff makes oatmeal, I will have some of that - all probably buttered, sugars - brown and white, and, of course milk.

When we lived in California, oh so many years ago, a box of Crayons had all these wonderful varieties of green inside. In California, you generally need brown colors, such as: Burnt Umber, Sepia and Dessert Sand. All of these colors are boring.

But, when we moved to Maryland, the variety of green colors was wonderful. There are approximately 18 shades of green. And, since moving here, we can relate to seeing most of those greens, sometime or another in Maryland.

I, personally love to open a new box of crayons. It has something to do with the smell of the crayons, as well as the endless possibilities. I like to make "squibiles: (not a word I know) on a page and then fill in all the circles with different colors. It always comes out beautiful. One of the best uses for these pieces of art for bookmarks. You should try it, it's fun.

I, of course began to wonder about the invention and time of the first crayon. And, thanks to the wonder of the Google search, here's what I found: From 1903, an approximate number of colors was 33. Many of those colors have since been removed and replaced with newer colors. And, you can now get crayons with glitter, metallic, fluorescent and for a short bit of time, scented crayons too.  So, you can see, how versatile the lowly crayon can be.

As an adult, with "adult-like" coloring books of beautiful costumes, animals, etc., I have converted to markers. I now have something called Diamond Facet Art Kit. You pick up a a dot and place it on the picture in the corresponding spot. I rescued this kit from the backyard, when Bella was stealing everything, so while the box is mangled, all the pieces are intact. Here's a sample of vintage coloring boxes. Enjoy/


Image result for picture of vintage crayon boxes 


P





  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...