Thursday, February 15, 2018

Our Street, Etc.

2/15/2018

Thirty years ago, Jeff and I moved the boys and our Westie, from the west coast to the east coast.  It's true that we didn't cross the country in a covered wagon.  Nope, we flew across the country, but if that sounds relaxing, I can assure you it was not.  Jeff and I had to wrangle: three boys, one dog, luggage, hand luggage, which held, among other things, important documents, that we couldn't afford to lose.

We were all younger (duh).  Jeff and I were still in our 30's and ready for a great adventure.  There was one similarity - we lived on a cul-de-sac in California, and our new in Maryland is also on a cul-de-sac. And, that's pretty much the only thing that is/was familiar to us.

When we moved into our present house in 1986, the street literally screamed young parents and young children.  Since we live on a hill, a favorite past-time, when it snowed, was to sled down the hill.  Okay, before you jump in, yes we knew that wasn't overly safe, but we had cautioned the boys to stop before the end of the street.  In all the years of sledding, not one child was injured.

Some of our neighbors, had children the same ages of Scott and Andy.  The boys always had someone to play with.  Bicycles went round and round the circle in front of the houses at the top of the hill.  Basketball hoops were erected, and during the summer, our street was lively as well as loud!  But, we loved every minute of it.

Our street today, has changed.  There is only one young boy living on the street.  Most of the couples, are retired now.  The street is quiet.  There are no loud teenage parties and no cars speeding up and down the street.  Our neighborhood, is highly sought after, mostly because of the high school, and the closeness to stores and the major highways.  I suspect that we'll stay put, until they take us out in a pine box!  Or, a beautiful urn!

Fast forward to 2018, Jeff and I are older, as are the boys.  But, where did the time go?  Scott's going to be 40 this year - impossible.  With each birthday the boys have, Jeff and I have one too.  The difference is that the boys are in the prime of their lives, while Jeff and I are slowing down.  I know that some of you who are our age, are not slowing down, but due to many physical issues of mine, we have had to make adjustments.  Getting me in and out of the airplane, for example, has now become difficult.

Jeff and I thrive on the boys' successes, and we are their biggest cheerleaders.  This makes me wonder, if my parents, in particular, were proud of me as an adult.  Some of the changes in our lives started in 2013, and I now suffer from irrefutable damage, mentally.  It's been 5 years, and my short term memory has not gotten significantly better, and probably never will.    

So, where were you 30 years ago?  

P

1 comment:

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...