Monday, September 10, 2018

Another One Bites The Dust!

9/10/2018

Front page of the paper today, shows once again a man, in a powerful position, being accused of sexually misconduct allegations.  These allegations caused to join the "ranks" of the unemployed. Powerful men, seem to think it's okay to indulge in non-appropriate sexual behavior.

I wonder how the conversation went when he got home yesterday.  "Honey, I've been fired from my job".  "We're probably going to have to tighten up our budget!  Not.

He received an exit deal of $180 Million dollars. In 2017, his salary was $69.3 Million dollars. It's hard to work up any sympathy for this executive.  He, like all the others, make a lot of money, and they can throw that money around to defend himself. And, sometimes this behavior costs them their job.

The network and the executive will donate $20 Million dollars to one or more organizations that support the #metoo movement. Perhaps, by throwing money, that he can well afford, perhaps thinks by donating money, will make him a good guy again.  Wrong. You can't take back actions or words, and these men who have been accused should remember that. 

I'm glad that women have found a voice and forum to make unwanted sexual behaviors unacceptable.  Unfortunately, like myself and other women of my age, we lived with behavior that would be unacceptable today. We had no voice, and I'm pretty sure that if you did raise an accusation, it would likely have cost your job.
I mean in those days (early 70'), secretaries were a dime a dozen.

My experiences during my working years, don't even begin to measure up to what's happening today. But, I had misconduct, if you will, during those years.  I had to ask to go to the bathroom. A stapler was thrown at me (luckily, it didn't hit me in the head). Drunk or absent bosses. Comments on my breasts, and other things along those lines. I, sucked it up. So, why put up with it? I needed those jobs, so I made no waves. If you did make waves, you were quickly shown the door. Sexual innuendos from some executives was the norm. We women expected some form of harassment, and we let it just happen. 

So, hurrah to all those women, who have been brave enough to make their voices heard. It is about time.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...