Monday, September 24, 2018

Gloony Gus Day

9/24/2018

Well, the day is starting off dark, raining and an all around stay in the house day. Unfortunately, Jeff and I have to venture out to get my "head shrunk". After that, it'll be stay at home time.

Yesterday, Jeff went out by himself to get the weekly essentials. He also, went off script, and bought other things as well. I suggested that he leave Bella at home, because nobody likes the smell of wet fur!

On the back of our house, which faces west, we have a lot of windows. Years ago, we had new windows put in, with the mini blinds encased in the windows. Since I have never liked dusting blinds, these windows are a true life saver! During the summer, only one window is open, to help keep the house cool. But, today I opened up more blinds, because otherwise the house seems pretty dark to me - and I'm not a mole!

When we were out to dinner on Saturday, Stacey ordered a sweet potato casserole. I took a bite of it, and oh my goodness it was so good. I have scoured the internet, and found a copycat recipe, which I'm printing below. Trust me, if you make it, folks will love it. We're planning on having this definitely at Thanksgiving.

 2 large cooked sweet potatoes (about 3 cups), mashed
  • 1 tbs maple syrup (see NOTES)
  • 2 tbs heavy cream
  • 1 tsp grated orange zest (see NOTES)
  • 2 tbs melted butter
  • ½ tsp salt
  • pinch of pepper
  • Topping:
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon (see NOTES)
  • ¼ cup flour
  • ½ cup chopped pecans
 
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 1 - 1.5 quart casserole.
  2. Mix sweet potatoes, maple syrup, cream, orange zest, butter, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
  3. Place sweet potato mixture in prepared baking dish.
  4. Mix all the topping ingredients and spread evenly across the top.
  5. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until topping is browned and bubbling.
Notes:
Maple syrup, orange zest and cinnamon may be eliminated without any other changes to the recipe.
 
Prep time: 10 minutes. 
 
 

I definitely hope it's sunny and bright where you are. If it continues to rain here, Jeff and I will need a boat, to get around in the backyard!
 
P


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...