Thursday, December 20, 2018

Politically Correcr?

12/20/2018

If you're thinking about actual politics, you'd be wrong. When I started blogging, I made myself a promise to avoid, at all costs, two areas: politics and women's rights. Don't get me wrong, I feel strongly about the later subject, but choose not to go there.

No, the politically correct thing I'm writing about, is the Merry Christmas greeting. When we lived in California, we wished everyone Merry Christmas. 

I remember my first Christmas here in Maryland. I was, at that time, working for two Jewish attorneys. I also remember asking them if we would offend anybody by putting up lights on the house. And, because Scott (Santa's number one helper) didn't just string a few lights on the house. Nope, I'm pretty sure our house could be seen in space!

Both attorneys assured me that ALL children love Christmas lights. Then, my next question, which I'm still asking is what holiday greeting is "politically correct"? To be safe, and not to offend anyone, Jeff and I wish people in stores, etc., Happy Holidays. For friends, and people we know, we wish them a Merry Christmas. 

On our first Christmas here, the Christmas show at the local schools, was called the Holiday show, and not all songs that were sung, were just about Christmas. It does take time to adjust to new surroundings and get in the "groove" if you will. Well, "Stella" (from a movie), as well as ourselves did get on even footing. 

Growing up, the greeting was Merry Christmas to everyone. Of course, my high school years were spent in a very small town, where you knew everybody.

The definition, according to Wikipedia, the custom of putting lights on a treet goes back goes back to when Christmas trees were decorated with candles, which symbolized Christ being the light of the world. 

So there you have it. If you care, and I know you do, today is National Re-gifting Day. I don't understand how this can be a re-gifting day, since we don't open up our presents until next week! At some point, or another, fruitcake was passed around from friend (or not) to friend!

Get shopping.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...