Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Trradions

12/5/2018

By the turn of page today, you/me have 20 days to shop. And, you know what means, don't you? It means that if you order something, on line, you better put a hustle in your bustle. The longer you delay about shopping on-line, can also mean that you will have to: (1) pay for expedited shipping $$$); and or take the risk of your gift not arriving.

Jeff doesn't know it, but one of my presents came yesterday. Lovely and warm slippers, with fleece inside. They are beautiful and I like them a lot. Thanks Jeff.

As a child, I can remember collecting pine cones, and putting glue on the ends of the cones, and then sprinkle them generously with glitter. Glitter, by the way, has a tendency to go everywhere.

Something else that we used to make at Christmas with Styrofoam and toothpicks. And, yes you can really do this. But, be aware of the toothpicks - they are sharp.

Image result for making a stroam tree with toothpicksdiggercone.jpg (12868 bytes)


We always got THE gift, along with smaller things too. But, Mom didn't put the THE gift under the tree. Nope, you had to work for it. One year, after we kids didn't receive THE gift, we were hugely disappointed. AND, to make things even worse, we were given a dust mop and told to check under our beds! Apparently, these BIG gifts had been under our beds, for a long time. Just shows you how often children dust under their bed!

One year, I received a hair dryer, which would now be considered an antique. You wore a plastic cap over your hair, and with the attached hose, blew warm air into the cap, until your hair was sufficiently dry, or the heat from the hose became too hot to stand.

One Christmas, my Mother sent the three of us, to scavenger for that all important gift. My hair dryer ended up being in the clothes dryer. But, I couldn't figure out the clue (duh), and Mom told me that there clothes in the dryer that needed to come out and be folded. At this point in my day, I was getting very frustrated, especially when I had to do laundry, for heaven sake!

One time, our gifts were in the clothes hamper. All of us, had to have some help in figuring out where are gifts were. 

The Christmas tree was always beautiful and adorned with very pretty ornaments. But, the downfall to decorating the tree were the "icicles". My Mother wanted us to put EACH icicle on the tree, one by one. Can, we say boring? You bet. If Mom wasn't in the room,we kids would just grab a large blob of the icicles and throw (hurl) them on the tree. That was a big no-no, since our shortcut to decorating had to be redone. Argh. 

Growing up, Christmas bulbs were really big and got really hot. There were no fiber optic trees, and if I remember correctly, one year we had a plastic tree with the color wheel underneath. Having gone through many Christmases with the boys, I truly understand what a chore it was to vacuum up all the dropped needles. And, we were supposed to give the tree water. Um, most of the time we didn't want to do that. You had to get a water pitcher, and get underneath the tree, to add water to the tree stand. Not overly fond of sap on my hands.

When we lived in California, my parents would come to our house Christmas morning, to exchange gifts, and to watch the boys tear into their presents. Later in the day, we went to Jeff's parent's house for a more sedated dinner and gift exchange. 

Once we moved here, there weren't multiple houses to visit. Over the years, the boys are, either married or in a serious relationship. Christmas is no longer at our house. This year. like the year before, we'll go to Scott's house for dinner as well as watch the children open up their presents. Each time a box is opened, they declare that it's the best gift, until they open the next one! Unlike Christmases, when the boys were young, they just ripped the paper (no bows necessary) to see what was inside. We always brought a large plastic bag to contain the paper and ribbon. In case you're wondering, I don't save the boxes, wrapping paper or ribbons. Nor, do I go to stores the day after Christmas to stock up on boxes and wrapping paper. I certainly could do that, but I for sure don't want to have to store these things for a year!

The UPS driver is at our house nearly every day. I feel that I should give him something, for all the hard work he does.

I've got a kitchen to clean up this morning. When Ada comes, she does clean the kitchen, but I need to, at the very least, do the dishes.

P


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...