Monday, December 10, 2018

Busy, Busy Monday

12/10/2018

There is one way to wake up, for us retired folk. Normally, it's the girls standing on Jeff's chest, and they're pretty hard to ignore. But, this morning, I woke up to the sound of a chain saw. I'm always interested in men who work around the house, and the chain saw was definitely up in our oak tree! This is phase two of trying to save the very large oak tree in the front yard. The climber dude, went up into the tree and cut down dead branches, and there was more than a few of those! They also trimmed the oak tree in the backyard. I don't know if any of you remember the show "Fargo", but there was a wood chipper involved, and a person. The company brought a wood chipper with them, and consistently fed it the dead branches from those two trees.

While the men were busy working outside, I took my toast and coffee (not too rigid about this meal I swear), sat in my chair and watched a Hallmark movie. They are definitely feel good movies. The movies always start and finish the same, and I'm okay with that. Everybody needs a little "feel good" in their life.

Yesterday, Scott and Wendy stopped by for breakfast, which is a Jeff specialty. Unfortunately, for my diet, they also brought a tower of goodies. Pears, apples, caramel/chocolate candy (for some reason, I keep thinking it's called Moose Tracks", but I could be wrong. While Scott and Wendy were here, we went over the food items for Christmas dinner. Wendy is cooking ham (yum), Jeff and I are supposed to bring the family's favorite corn casserole. I also offered to make my family's 7up Salad. The recipe, which I have put below, was always made by my Grandmother. I haven't made it in years, but it's about time I dragged the recipe out, and make a list of necessary food. Seems like we are supposed to bring something else, but I can't remember.

Over the weekend, Jeff bought one of those Insta-Pots, which is supposed to make cooking easier and faster. Today, he's going to make beef stew, and that should turn out to be yummy. You simply but your ingredients in the pot, select the right setting, and walk away. Before you know it, dinner's ready! Who could argue about that?

Today, I need to put my ever mounting chaos in order. I have packages to wrap (ugh), as well as taking care of our personal Christmas cards. Since we have been in Maryland for 32 years, a lot of the folks we once knew, have somewhat drifted away. And, that's pretty normal, when you think of it. Collapse all my Amazon boxes, that have been tossed (literally) into the living room. I guess you could say, that I've turned most of the house into "Mom-Mom's" workshop!


7UP Salad

Background:  This recipe is from my Grandmother Glazebrook.  She made, as I did, this dish for most holiday dinners.  During the spring she would make the dish with the  colored mini-marshmallows

2 pkg. lemon jello
2 c hot water
2 c 7up
1 number 2 can of drained pineapple tidbits
2 c mini-marshmallows
2 bananas, sliced
½ c sugar
1 c pineapple juice
2 T flour
1 egg
1 T butter
Cool whip
¼ c grated longhorn cheese

Dissolve gelatin in hot water and add 7up.  Chill till thick as egg white, add pineapple, mallows and sliced bananas. Chill till firm.

Cook together:  sugar, flour, egg and pineapple juice. Remove from stove after it thickens and stir in butter. Let cool to room temperature.  Add cool whip to the custard mixture.

Spread on top of gelatin.  Sprinkle cheese on top of cool whip and Refrigerate. I know that the cheese on top, may put some of you off, but I promise you it's a great tasting "salad"!

Well, my dears, the clock waits for nobody, including yours truly. More tomorrow.

P



 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...