Thursday, September 24, 2015

Opening Up Things

9/24/2015

There was a time, which was probably a long time ago, where it didn't take a person minutes to open a package.  It seems as if everything comes sealed in plastic.  To open a package, you really must own a box cutter.  Scissors work but not as effectively.  If you don't have something sharp to use, you might be forced to tear the box open with your fingers.  And ladies, this maneuver does absolutely nothing for your nails!

Once you manage to get the box open, you are greeted with one of several things.  You either get those stupid little foam pieces that tend to float and flit all around the room.  Or, you get those little pockets of air that are fun to poke.  My favorite by far is the plastic that you can put on the floor and stomp on them like a two year old!  Great way to work off some extra energy.

Maybe it's just me, but I find I have some difficulty in opening up food items.  Ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise, just to mention a few have that little safety seal foam covering underneath the cap.  Okay there are little tabs that you are supposed to be able to pull and the seal thing comes off.  Only for me not so much.  I have much better luck using a knife to tear that seal off.

Practically everything you buy, with the exception of cans, has some kind of protective or safety seal.  Prior to 1982 this kind of packaging wasn't being done.  After Tylenol had pill bottles that were injected with cyanide, by some unknown person and people died, the packaging of things changed dramatically.

And pill bottles with the instructions to push down and turn doesn't always work for me.  Because of my history, I don't handle pill bottles anymore.  Jeff takes all of the pills, and I do take more than a few, and fills my pill box every week.  

I understand the need for safety and I know it's for our own protection, but sometimes it is just frustrating beyond words to not be able to open up a container.  Jeff isn't always around to help me open up a bottle or jar.  That's where box cutters, scissors or letter openers are handy!

P


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...