Friday, September 11, 2015

9/11/01

9/11/01

Do you remember where you were when the planes hit the towers?  I do.  I was at work and the noise started out as a mere buzz, but soon the noise was louder and people were screaming and crying.  The television was on in the conference room, and we all huddled around to watch the true horror that was happening.

I don't really remember how long after the towers went down, before it was announced that we could all go home.  Even early in the morning, the interstate was packed with cars.  People hurrying to get home to see their families.

That morning, I took local streets and was amazed at how quiet the world had suddenly become.  Even when I rolled my window down, there was simply no sound.  It was an eerie silence.  By the time everybody got home, all glad to be alive, Jeff and I decided on a plan for leaving town, if we needed to.

Our instructions to the boys were quite clear.   If we became separated, for whatever reason, they were to drive west to Illinois to my brother's house with the dogs.  I knew my brother wouldn't appreciate having animals in his house, but if worse came to worse, he would manage. We also told the boys that if living so close to Washington posed a risk, we would also drive to Illinois.  

Luckily for all of us, the need to drive to Illinois was not necessary.  We all stayed home and watched countless hours of television.  When the company opened up it's doors, I don't remember if it was the next day or not, traffic was different.  Drivers allowed drivers to merge effortlessly, horns didn't beep and everyone, pretty much still in a daze, drove steadily on.

While we watched television, there were only so many times you could watch the towers fall. The world, as we knew it, seemed to have gone mad.  It was unbelievable that a terrorist would take control of planes and crash them into buildings.  After a while and feeling quite numb, I turned off the news.  I knew that for many days to come, the pictures of horror would play over and over again.  There are times when you just can't process a horrible occurrence, such as the one on September 11th, one more time. 

For many of you, you may also remember the day that JFK was assassinated.  I know I do.  I was in 9th grade English.  Over the intercom, it was announced that JFK had been assassinated and that school was closed, and we should all go home.

The walk home, as I remember, was quiet.  And, like 9/11/01, everybody was watching television pretty much 24/7.  Since this was before the internet, you had to get your news the old fashioned way: newspaper or on television.   

We will never forget the horror of 9/11, or the brave men and women who responded quickly to assist survivors.  It is a day of remembrance that is etched in my soul.

P


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...