Sunday, September 13, 2015

Grandparent's Day

9/13/2015

Until I saw postings on Facebook about Grandparent's Day, I had no idea that we had a "day".  Jeff and I are blessed with a grandson, Benjamin, who has and will continue to be the apple of our eye.

Being a grandparent is way better than being a parent.  Parents have to do all the hard stuff: getting the kids to bed on time; making sure they eat their veggies; limiting their sugar intake - stuff like that.

When Benjamin visits us, I do try and adhere to some of the rules he has at home.  Notice I said some.  Because our time with Benjamin is precious, it's far easier and way better for us to let him stay up at night, so we can snuggle together.  

Benjamin knows that at Mom-Mom's house, I keep cookies and/or make cake for him.  When I ice a cake, I try to use the really outlandish colors: dark blue, purple or orange.  Licking the bowl and beaters is a necessity.  My boys always loved that I left some batter in the bowl, and I do the same for Benjamin.

Grandchildren are the sprinkles on top of cake.  They are like a reward for parents.  You raised your children, who turned out to be amazing grown-ups and they give you grandchildren!  Perfect.

I loved my grandmother a great deal.  She was always around to listen to me.  She even listened to rock 'n roll radio stations when I was in high school.  When I was with her, I knew unconditional love.  When we moved to Illinois while I was in high school, to be closer to grandma, it was wonderful.  Grandma's house is where I went before school every day.  She was the one who came and got me when I fell off of a trampoline.  She was the one who drove me to school after it snowed.  She was the one that I talked to about anything and everything.  She had my back and I knew it and was blessed to have someone like that in my life.

I am trying to emulate my grandmother, in my care and love of Benjamin.  I want to be the one that he can come to and tell me anything, and I won't overreact.  I don't live close enough to Benjamin to allow him to just pop into the house to see me every day, but when he does visit, we make up for lost time.  

Our love for each other is to the moon and back - many times over.  Jeff and I are blessed to have Benjamin in our lives.

P
 

PImage result for grandparents day

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...